The environmental services department looks after all aspects of solid waste collection, county water and sewer systems, rural water points, parks and campgrounds, and municipal buildings.
Solid Waste Transfer Stations
There are seven solid waste transfer stations within Mackenzie County, as follows:
- Blue Hills Transfer Station
- Buffalo Head Prairie Transfer Station
- La Crete Transfer Station
- Blumenort Transfer Station
- Fort Vermilion Transfer Station
- Rocky Lane Transfer Station
- Zama Transfer Station
The following waste is accepted:
- Domestic waste
- Used tires - rubber only, no rim - all sizes. (not accepted at the Buffalo Head Prairie Transfer Station)
- Scrap Metal (not accepted at the Buffalo Head Prairie Transfer Station)
- White Metals (not accepted at the Buffalo Head Prairie Transfer Station). White metals containing Freon must be kept separate from all other white metals.
- Pesticide Containers - must be triple jet rinsed and punctured. (not accepted at the Buffalo Head Prairie Transfer Station)
- Demolition and construction debris, renovation wastes and demo sheds.
- Burnable wood must be free of metal, paint, and wood treatment. (not accepted at the Buffalo Head Prairie Transfer Station)
- Derelict Auto Bodies (not accepted at the Buffalo Head Prairie or La Crete Transfer Stations)
- Hazardous Waste - ONLY the following items: batteries, used oil, oil filters, and paint generated by non-commercial users.
The following waste is prohibited:
- Waste delivered by compactor trucks.
- Burning refuse or hot ashes.
- Hazardous waste with the exception of batteries, used oil, oil filters and paint.
- Liquid waste.
- Any sludge.
- Untreated biomedical or pathological waste.
- Dead animals.
- Dangerous goods.
- Animal manure.
Fees for Solid Waste Disposal at Waste Transfer Stations
Residental and farming waste (excluding construction waste) is exempt from fees.
- $5.00 - Pickup Truck (Partial Load)
- $10.00 - Pickup Truck (Full Load)
- $30.00 - Single Axle - Larger than 1 Ton
- $10.00 - Trailers shorter than 8'
- $30.00 - Trailers 8' - 20'
- $50.00 - Trailers over 20'
- $50.00 - Untarped Loads of Commercial, Construction, Industrial and/or Institutional Material
Tandem or tridem axle trucks are directed to the Regional Landfill.
Users can prepay the fees by purchasing a County "Solid Waste Punch Card" at any of the County offices.
Rural Water Points
There are six rural water points with non-potable water located within Mackenzie County for residential use at no charge. Locations of the water points are as follows:
- Rocky Lane Water Point ~ SE 6-110-14-W5M
- Buffalo Head Prairie Water Point ~ NE 14-104-15-W5M
- Wolfe Lake Water Point ~ NE 34-106-14-W5M
- High Level Water Point ~ SW 6-110-16-W5M
- Tompkins Water Point ~ SE 16-104-17-W5M
- La Crete Water Point ~ NE 4-106-15-W5M
Water and Sewer Rates
|Rate Description||Water Rates||Sewer Rates|
|Rates for Metered Users||$37.04/month plus $3.18 per
m3 of consumption
|$31.52/month plus $0.73 per m3
of water consumption
Rates for Cardlock Users
|$3.18 per m3 of consumption||$0.73 per m3 of water consumption|
Rates for Cardlock Users
|$2.31 per m3 of consumption||N/A|
These rates are approved as per the Fee Schedule Bylaw.
For a copy of the Mackenzie County Comprehensive Water Supply Study prepared by Associated Engineering please click here.
The Mackenzie Regional Waste Management Commission
The Mackenzie Regional Waste Management Commission was established in 2003 and the members include Mackenzie County, the Town of High Level, and the Town of Rainbow Lake. The Commission provides solid waste management services.
For more information regarding the Mackenzie Regional Waste Management Commission visit www.mrwmc.com.