The Operations Department is responsible for the maintenance of all public roads within the County, with the exception of private roads in mobile home parks, private driveways, roads owned by the industry, and highways. Highway 697, Highway 88, Highway 35, and Highway 58 are the responsibility of Alberta Infrastructure and Transportation.

Maintenance of County roads includes roadside brushing, roadside cleanups, street sweeping, graveling, snow removal, ice blading, sanding, steaming culverts, and pothole patching. The Operations Department also looks after sidewalks, signage, bridges, and roadside drainage issues.


See the links below for more information on road-related services provided by the Operations Department:

Road Bans

Road bans are imposed to reduce the amount of damage that occurs to County roads during spring breakup, a time when pavement and soils are moisture-filled and susceptible to damage from heavily weighted vehicles.

If you will be hauling heavy loads during this time make sure you sign a Road Protection Agreement which is available at any County office.

More information on road bans throughout the province is available from the Government of Alberta.

Current Road Bans within Mackenzie County:

  • 80% year round road ban for Heliport Road along TWP RD 110-4 from Highway 35 to RGE RD 19-0 (implemented February 2, 2022)

Street Lighting

If you notice burnt-out or flickering street lights, please call ATCO Electric at 1-800-668-2248 or the La Crete office at 780-928-3983 to report the problem.

Hauling on County Roads

A Road Use Agreement must be entered into with the County prior to any commercial/industrial hauling on Mackenzie County roads. Policy PW010: Road Protection outlines the conditions whereas the Road Use Agreement must be entered into. Please contact the La Crete office at 780-928-3983 to inquire about entering into a Road Use Agreement.


Each year, the County determines which roads require gravel, and a regravelling contract is prepared. The regravelling contract is tendered in May and regravelling begins in June and ends in August. If it appears that there are areas that require gravel prior to the contract beginning or after the contract has ended, the County will spot gravel the required spots.

Road Fencing

Fencing alongside municipal road allowance is generally the responsibility of the landowner. Fencing on private property must be constructed inside a private property to a minimum of one foot from the municipal road allowance. Fencing cannot be constructed on any municipal road allowance unless a Road Use Agreement is entered into in advance, according to existing Mackenzie County policies. Temporary fences may be installed in County Road Allowances provided that an agreement has been entered into with the County prior to installation. Policy PW032: Road Fencing outlines the requirement for fencing along and within County road allowances. Please contact the La Crete office at 780-928-3983 to inquire about entering into a Road Use Agreement.

Contact Us

To contact the Operations Department, please call the La Crete office at 780-928-3983 or email